With the festive period approaching at a galloping pace many of us will begin to look forward to the fabulous opportunities to indulge in a bit of (or a lot of) well deserved gluttony!
Sometimes finding a balance between making the most of the food and drink opportunities and avoiding excessive weight gain and the resulting guilt that goes hand in hand with it can be tricky.
Here are some tips which might help without spoiling too much of the enjoyment!
- Try to keep the food and drink festivities to a limited period over the festive season- include parties and functions, plus the week or so directly in and around the holiday period. If you can stick to this, it will help to keep weight gain to a minimum.
- If you know you are going to a party or out for a meal and will be overindulging, try to eat light meals during the rest of the day- this will help retain a measure of balance over the day.
- Watch your portion sizes- enjoy all of the foods you have been looking forward to, but keep the portion sizes reasonable. You will feel less bloated and gain less weight than if you allow yourself unlimited portion sizes.
- Avoid repeat visits to the buffet table. It is difficult to keep track of how much you are eating when buffets are being served. Fill your plate with your favourite choices and enjoy, but decide before hand how many visits you will make and stick to that number! You will pace yourself and eat less if you plan things this way.
- Don’t forget that alcohol contains calories, and lots of them! You don’t have to abstain but if you want to keep the weight gain down try alternating low calorie soft drinks with alcoholic ones, or you could avoid creamy drinks in lieu of a spirit and low calorie mixer.
- Don’t be disheartened if things don’t go to plan. The fastest way to fall off the weight loss bandwagon is to let one slip up lead you to give up. Just tell yourself it was worth it and get back on your eating plan!